Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Flower Market, Legion of Honor, Fisherman's Wharf

On one of my days off, Sandra asked if I wanted to follow her to the flower market because she had another order for leis (those Hawaiian floral wreath thingies). I am not much of a flower person but I had time before my day starts so I hopped into her car.

Gorgeous indigo flowers I'm somewhat attracted to. I guess the conventional pink and red flowers just don't cut it for me.

At the flower market! Quite a number of the shops were closing because we arrived a bit late.. so it wasn't like the Valentine's Day movie where every nook and cranny housed a bouquet.

Then she brought me to Daiso so I can get some melanine sponges to clean her pots. It's a guilty pleasure of mine to scrub pots, you know, to rub on a tiny stain till it comes of gives me a sense of satisfaction. Sandra will have gleaming pots and pans by the time I leave ;)

And after getting churros (my first ever!) and a Polish hot dog for lunch, I set off to the Legion of Honor at North Beach. Alone. Yeah. Nat and Shen were working so I had to go on my own.

It.

Is.

AMAZING.


It's like the best museum I have gone to so far. I love it! It kinda intimidated me at first, because when I got in, all the museum goers I saw were above the age of, say, 65. Gosh. Even the bus was full of old people. And I think a few of them looked at me with pity as though like "Yerr why this girl no life one, she has to come to an old people's museum alone" BUT WHO CARES I LIKE MAH CANNOT MEH

One of the exhibits that really caught my eye was the Rodin exhibit. If you didn't know, he was the sculptor who did The Thinker, The Kiss, and this piece:

Which I forgot the name of. Apparently the wife of the couple who donated this building is an avid collector of Rodin pieces. Like there's this piece called The Shadow or something is one of the only other piece that is around in the world. The other one is in Paris. So like. Yeah. She is super kao rich yan.

The museum actually didn't allow photography but I saw some Persian-ish girls shamelessly taking pictures so like dahlah if they're not getting caught then must as well I also take pictures kan.

Baboon by Rembrandt, hurriedly taken because there was some fat security bloke looking at me. Yeah. I scurried out of the exhibit soon after this picture was taken. SHAME ON ME.

They had a lot of paintings from the Renaissance era and before. So like it kinda showed how people back then perceived Christianity, or Jesus, and what kind of subject matter they thought important in that time. It used to be religion, then royalty, then like normal yan. (Yan = people in Chinese. Shen uses it a lot and now I use it too -_-) And since they didn't have the Internet or TV to waste their time back then, they had a lot of it to waste on painting a masterpiece. Very awe inspiring. I plan to return one last time next month, because they have a new special exhibit on medieval fashion.

The special exhibit they're having now is Japanesque that displayed the Japanese art of stamping. As in like they carve out some picture of Fuji mountain on a piece of wood, then they put some sort of ink as to how they will want to paint the picture, then they place a piece of cloth over it so it will imprint. And then they will make different variations of the picture. Quite interesting but there was far too many people in the exhibit, and maybe because I'm Asian so I got bored quite quickly. So I zhao lou.

The Thinker. I love the entrance. It felt as though I was in Rome or something hahaha *laughs alone* but I saw three couples taking their wedding pictures over there so I guess I'm not the only one that thinks this place is immensely beautiful.

One of the great things about this place is that it has a really good view of the Golden Gate bridge.


It won't feel like you're in San Francisco until you see this. Then it hits you. WOW. I AM HERE. THIS IS INSANE.


OK Nat's taking a long time showering so I might as well blog about another place.

But anyway, Natalia, Shen and I went to the Fisherman's Wharf around two weeks ago.

Fisherman's wharf is somewhere along the piers. It has super a lot of boats like any other wharf, basically. Haha. I'm not the best person to explain this place.

View of the city. Like seriously, I am a really bad dresser. Trench coat and Converse shoes what was I thinking!

"act cool" shot of the day.

More boats.


Eating clam chowder and fried calamari for an al fresco lunch. Super yummy. I'm going back there again!

Err Shen you are blocking the Pier 39 flag

Huge Christmas tree in front of the shops. But like obviously the person who took this picture is not a professional. Half body shot in front of a giant tree WHAT WAS SHE THINKING

And New Year's was spent at home because I had work the next morning. So we just ate cupcakes and drank tequila and champagne and beer. Not sure if I have already blogged about this hahaha



Recent house updates? Jason left for his home in Korea. So here to take his place is Andreas, otherwise known as Andy from Switzerland. He's hilarious. And tall. It feels different talking up to a person when I'm always talking down, if you get my drift. *clears throat*

OK till next time. It's my turn to take a shower, cos Nat and I are going out to the city today to look for another job since our employer's going to cut our hours as the restaurant is much calmer than it was during the holidays. So like. Not enough money FOL

Other than that I'm feeling terribly homesick as of late, whenever my co-workers ask about my background I sort of tear up because they will be like "Oh, you don't have your parents with you? You came alone? No friends?" :(

Baibai!

No comments:

Post a Comment